Orthodontics in Wollongong : Helping You Achieve Your Dream Smile
～ With Supercare’s professional orthodontics treatment, you can brace yourself for a beautiful smile!～
Even though misaligned teeth do not cause a lot of pain in the short-term, over the long-term, they can lead to substantial and chronic discomfort. Orthodontics addresses such issues and carefully resolves them over time so that you can eat, speak, and smile without any inconvenience ever again.
Our orthodontic experts are dedicated to providing you with a comprehensive range of treatments that not only enhance your smile’s appearance but also improve its function.
Orthodontics is a specialised field of dentistry that focuses on diagnosing, preventing, and treating dental and facial irregularities. The primary goal of orthodontics is to correct misaligned teeth, improper bites, and other related issues to achieve optimal oral health, functionality, and aesthetics.
Our orthodontists mainly use various appliances, such as braces and aligners, to guide your teeth into their proper positions over time.
Our orthodontic treatments go beyond straightening teeth. We provide orthodontic treatments that are tailored to your unique needs, taking into account your facial structure, bite, and oral health goals. Our experienced orthodontists use state-of-the-art techniques and technologies to ensure precise and comfortable treatment that delivers long-lasting results.
Primarily, we provide the following two types of orthodontic treatments:
- Metal Braces: Metal braces are orthodontic devices made from metal brackets and wires. They gradually align teeth by applying controlled pressure, creating a straighter and more aligned smile.
- Clear Aligners: Similar to traditional braces, clear aligners (also known as Invisalign) gradually move teeth to more favourable positions through gentle and controlled forces. These aligners are crafted from transparent, pliable plastic instead of metal.
Types of orthodontic treatments
Various types of orthodontic treatments are available. Each option has its advantages and considerations, and the best choice depends on your specific orthodontic needs, preferences, and lifestyle.
Benefits of orthodontic treatment
Orthodontic treatments offer numerous benefits beyond a straighter smile. Orthodontic benefits improve oral health by aligning teeth, reducing the risk of cavities, gum disease, and uneven wear. Properly aligned teeth also enhance bite function, easing issues like jaw pain and speech difficulties.
Orthodontic treatments are also popular because of the aesthetic improvements they provide, which boost self-confidence and contribute to a positive self-image. Another orthodontic benefit is that it can prevent dental problems that may worsen over time, leading to potential savings in future dental care. Whether through braces, aligners, or other methods, orthodontic treatment results in a healthier, more balanced, and appealing smile.
How to prepare for your first orthodontic treatment?
Preparing for your first orthodontic treatment involves a few simple steps to ensure a smooth and informed experience:
- First, familiarise yourself with your Supercare clinic and orthodontic team to feel more comfortable.
- Complete any required patient information forms provided by the clinic ahead of your appointment.
- Be prepared to discuss your dental and medical history with the orthodontist during the consultation.
- During the consultation, the orthodontist will examine your teeth, bite, and overall oral health. Accordingly, they will explain the recommended treatment plan based on your specific needs.
- Feel free to ask any questions about the treatment plan, procedure, and expected outcome and understand the treatment costs, payment options, and potential insurance coverage.
- If you decide to proceed, schedule your orthodontic treatment appointments.
- Follow any pre-treatment instructions provided by the orthodontist, such as avoiding specific foods or habits.
- Throughout the treatment process, maintain open communication with your orthodontist and get all of your concerns addressed.
How much does orthodontic treatment cost?
The cost of orthodontic treatment in Australia varies depending on a number of factors, including the type of braces you choose and the complexity of your case.
Overall, you can expect to pay anywhere from AUD $6,000 to $15,000 for orthodontic treatment. Here is a breakdown of the average costs of different types of braces in Australia:
- Metal braces: $6,000 – $9,000
- Ceramic braces: $6,500 – $9,500
- Lingual braces: $9,500 – $15,000
- Clear aligners: $6,500 – $9,500
Remember that you can also use your Super to finance your orthodontic treatment. All you have to do is contact the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) to request for an early release of your superannuation fund (ERS). Our in-house professionals are always here to help you through the process of getting your Super.
Schedule an appointment with us today to receive world-class orthodontic treatment that will make you smile with satisfaction.
Orthodontic treatment might be needed if you have misaligned teeth, bite issues, gaps, or aesthetic concerns with your smile. It’s also relevant if you face difficulties in speech, chewing, or experience jaw pain. Oral health problems due to misalignment can also warrant orthodontic care.
The duration of orthodontic treatment varies based on factors like the severity of your orthodontic issues, the type of treatment, and how well you follow your orthodontist’s recommendations. In general, orthodontic treatment can take anywhere from several months to a few years. Simple cases might be completed in around 6 to 12 months, while more complex cases could take 2 to 3 years or more.
If you notice signs like misaligned teeth, bite problems, gaps, aesthetic dissatisfaction, discomfort, speech or chewing difficulties, jaw discomfort, or early age-related concerns, it’s advisable to consult an orthodontist.
Orthodontic treatment begins with a consultation where your orthodontist assesses your dental condition and recommends suitable options. A personalised treatment plan is created, involving braces, aligners, or other devices. These are applied, followed by regular adjustments or aligner changes to guide teeth movement. Progress is monitored during check-ups, and once alignment goals are met, the braces are removed or aligner treatment concludes.
Absolutely, orthodontics can be highly beneficial for children. Early intervention can address orthodontic issues while a child’s jaw and teeth are still developing, potentially minimising the need for more extensive treatment in the future. Orthodontists can guide jaw growth, correct bite problems, and guide permanent teeth into proper alignment. This can improve oral health, speech, and overall well-being.
Orthodontics has numerous advantages, but potential drawbacks include initial discomfort, increased oral hygiene effort, dietary restrictions, treatment duration, aesthetic concerns with traditional braces, temporary speech changes, cost considerations, and the need for long-term retainer use.
It’s recommended to take your child for their first orthodontic evaluation by around age 7. At this age, some adult teeth have emerged, allowing orthodontists to identify potential issues early. Early intervention can address problems while jaw and facial structures are still developing, potentially minimising the need for more extensive treatment later.